Sleeping until 2 pm on Saturdays and spending all their disposable cash on new kicks, this is how youth is spending their 20s. 30s are an ideal time to change the habits in order to achieve personal and professional fulfillment for the rest of your life.
To build a strong foundation for lifelong success, here are 10 lifestyle pulls you can make in your 30s:
1. Stop smoking- Stop smoking immediately if you have started. While you can’t undo the damage you may have already incurred from smoking, research suggests that those who quit before age 40 have a 90% lower mortality risk than those who continue.
2. Start going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day- It might be tempting to use the weekends to recoup your sleep debt, it is recommended to hit the hay and wake up around the same time every single day. If you oversleep for even a few days, you risks resetting your body clock to a different cycle, so you’ll start getting tired later in the day. Avoid a lifetime of sleep issues by sticking to bedtime and wake up routines whenever you can.
3. Start exercising regularly- Try to move yourself as much as possible. “It doesn’t matter if it’s walking, cycling, running, weightlifting, hiking, swimming — as long as it involves some movement.”In the latter half of your 30s, you start losing muscle mass, so it’s especially important to exercise at this time. But remember to choose physical activities you really love, since you’re less likely to continue exercising if you dislike your workouts.
4. Start keeping a journal- “Journal your life! Your written records will entertain and endear in your future,” writes Mark Crawley.
Even if you’d prefer to keep your musings to yourself, putting your thoughts and feelings on paper can help you deal with stressful events.
5. Start saving money- Building the habit of saving early means you’ll continue it further down the line. It might seem like your golden years are a lifetime away, but the earlier you start saving, the more time your money has to accrue interest.
6. Start pursuing a life dream- Want to buy a house? Have kids? Write a book? Pick one of those life goals and get started. What can you do between now and the end of the year to embark on one of them? So start pursuing some dreams for your life.
7. Start learning to be happy with what you have- If you are content with what you have, you will have a happier life. It’s really about gratitude: Research suggests that appreciating what you have can increase happiness and decrease negative feelings. Perhaps that’s why Oprah Winfrey kept a daily gratitude journal for years.
8. Stop thinking you need to satisfy everyone-After I reached 30, I stopped feeling the need to please everyone. You can choose your friends and contacts more careful.
9. Stop comparing yourself to others- If you are unable to do some things in life compared to your siblings and friends, then please be at peace with yourself. Don’t be harsh on yourself.
10. Start forgiving yourself for your mistakes- Forgive yourself your mistakes. We all make plenty of them. Don’t dwell on the errors of the past — learn from them, let them go, and move ahead.