Ingredients For the Veggie Filling
3 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. chipotle chile powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. agave or maple syrup
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 medium zucchini, chopped
½ medium red onion, sliced into strips
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced
1 cup cooked or canned black beans (rinse and drain if using canned)
For the Quesadillas
4 to 6 medium (soft taco size) flour tortillas
2 ripe Avocados From Mexico
oil, for grilling
your favorite salsa or hot sauce
- Stir lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chipotle chile powder, salt, pepper, garlic and agave or maple syrup together in a large bowl. Add bell pepper, zucchini, onion and jalapeño. Toss to coat. Optionally, allow to marinade at room temperature for up to an hour.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add veggies and cook, flipping frequently, until most of the liquid has cooked off and veggies are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add beans and cilantro. Flip a few times to incorporate, then transfer the mixture to a plate.
- In small bowl, lightly mash the avocados with a fork. Spread a quarter or a sixth of mashed avocado onto half of a tortilla. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and optionally with some hot sauce. Arrange an even layer of veggies over avocado, then fold the tortilla closed over the veggies. Repeat until all tortillas are filled and all fillings are used.
- Lightly oil the skillet and place over medium heat. Place one or two tortillas onto skillet and grill until browned and crispy on bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip and grill until browned on opposite side, about 4 minutes more. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked, adding oil to the skillet as needed.
- Serve with hot sauce or salsa.