For the cake:
250g(8oz) butter, softened
250g (8oz) caster sugar
250g (8oz) self-raising flour
4 medium eggs
Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
For the syrup:
4 level tbsp caster sugar
Juice 2 lemons
For the filling:
3 level tbsp lemon curd
For the frosting:
125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
250g (8oz) icing sugar
4 level tbsp lemon curd
Pinch of salt
2 x 18cm (7in) solidbase sandwich tins, buttered and baselined
Sue's tip: Freeze cake at the end of step 5. Allow the cake to defrost before filling and frosting.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter. Add the remaining ingredients to it and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between sandwich tins, and level surface.
- Bake cakes in the centre of oven for 30-35 mins, or until they have risen and feel just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup: Pour 4tbsp water into a small pan; add sugar. Place pan on a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring mixture to the boil; boil rapidly for 1 min, then remove pan from heat and add lemon juice.
- When cakes are cooked, remove from oven and pour syrup over each one. Leave cakes in tins for about 10 minutes until syrup has soaked in, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally, to give 4 layers in total. Sandwich together with 1tbsp lemon curd spread between each layer.
- To make the frosting: Beat butter until very soft, then add remaining ingredients and beat well until fluffy. Spread over the top and sides of the cake.