Shrikhand is a delicious sweet yogurt preparation popular in the western regions of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Hung yogurt is sweetened and flavour with cardamom powder and saffron and studded with crunchy mixed nuts. Chilled shrikhand along with hot puris make a delicious meal any time of the year. So here is the recipe:
- Saffron (kesar) large pinch
- Yogurt 1 kilogram
- Sugar substitute sucralose 1/3 cup
- Warm milk 2 tablespoons
- Nutmeg powder a pinch
- Green cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Almonds blanched, peeled and sliced 5-6
- Pistachios blanched, peeled and sliced 8-10
- Tie the yogurt in a piece of muslin and hang it overnight over a bowl, in a refrigerator, to drain.
- Transfer the drained yogurt into a bowl. Add the sugar substitute and mix well.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk, cool and add to the yogurt mixture. Mix well.
- Add the nutmeg powder and cardamom powder; mix well and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled, decorated with the almonds and pistachios.