Kerala girl arrested for attacking CPM workers in hospital after suicide bid


KERALA : One of the two Dalit sisters who were arrested for allegedly assaulting CPI(M) workers in Thalasserry (Kannur district) and later released on bail was admitted in a hospital in serious condition after overdosing on pills. The condition of 25-year-old Anjana, now in the intensive care unit of Indira Gandhi Cooperative hospital, is stable and she has been kept under observation, hospital sources said.

She was brought to the hospital here at around 1230 hrs last night after she consumed some tablets. Akhila, 30, and Anjana, 25, daughters of Indian National Trade Union Congress leader N Rajan, were arrested on a complaint by the Communist Party of India-Marxist that they had barged into their party office here and attacked one of their activists.

The sister duo were released on bail yesterday. Asked by reporters in Delhi about the incident, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said, "Ask police. I am not saying anything now." Anjana allegedly consumed some tablets last night after she returned home from a television debate. As she showed signs of restlessness, she was immediately rushed to the hospital. Her family said that during the TV debate, a woman leader of the CPM had remarked that the two sisters were part of a "criminal goonda gang".

"We are being portrayed as members of a criminal gang which trespassed into the Marxist party's office with dangerous weapons," Akhila said. "For the past many years, we were being traumatised and insulted by CPM workers. We had not gone there to attack anyone, only to question them for calling us by our caste and mocking at us. Just because we belong to this caste, does it mean we do not have a right to live?" Akhila, a Dalit, asked.

She said her sister was under a lot of mental strain, but the family did not suspect she would take any extreme step. She said the family wants to live peacefully. Kannur district Police Chief Sanjay Kumar Gurudin, who visited the woman in the hospital, said: "We are keeping a check on her health condition. The reason why she took the extreme step is not known."