Kashmir unrest, 47 injured, PM breaks silence


Protests have reach to the Muslim-dominated areas of Jammu, even as the Kashmir valley remained on the edge for the 35th day of the unrest on Friday.

Curfew was re-imposed in parts of the Kashmir valley and except BSNL the entire mobile telephone was suspended to prevent protests and stone pelting on Friday.

A magistrate, an SSP and three other police officers were among 47 people injured today as stone-pelting incidents spilled over from Kashmir to Jammu region where violence took place in Doda district. 

Curfew was inposed in Srinagar and towns of Ganderbal, Budgam, Anantnag, Shopian, Baramulla and Sopore to prevent violence on Friday.

In the valley, more than three dozen incidents of stone pelting were reported from different districts including Anantnag, Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian, Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara and Bandipora, a police spokesman said. 
35 people were injured in these incidents and the ensuing clashes after Friday prayers. 
The violence spread from Kashmir to Jammu region with a mob turning violent after Friday prayers in Doda where some muslim groups had called for a bandh and a protest march in "solidarity" with the people of Kashmir. 
"After Friday prayers, a mob turned violent and attacked the police party that was deployed in the town to maintain law and order and started pelting stones on them," Police said.
In the stone-pelting, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Doda Zahid Naeem, SHO Uday Wazir, Sub-Inspector Kulbushan and two other police personnel were also injured. 
To disperse the mobs, police used cane charge and lobbed teargas shells, leaving six protesters injured. 
In Kashmir, one protester was hit by tear gas shell in the head during clashes in Tangmarg area of Baramulla district. He was admitted to a hospital in Srinagar and his condition is stated to be critical, a police official said. 
Vehicle, weapons used in killing of BJP Leader Teotia recovered

At least 12 people were taken to Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura for treatment after they were allegedly thrashed by security forces during clashes in Ganderbal area of central Kashmir, the official said, adding all the injured were discharged after first aid.
Police and security forces exercised utmost restraint despite severe provocations at a number of places, the spokesman said, adding many police and security force men were injured during these clashes 
At Arhama, Ganderbal, miscreants assembled on road and pelted stones on security forces. While tackling the situation six persons were injured, he said. 
The spokesman said at Dooru, Tangmarg, about 300-400 miscreants assembled on road and pelted stones on police and security forces. Two persons were injured, one of whom was shifted to Srinagar, he added. 
"At Uttrsoo, Anantnag, miscreants pelted stones on police and security forces. While dispersing the mob, four persons suffered minor injuries that were discharged after first aid from the hospital," the spokesman said. 
Meanwhile, curfew was extended to many parts Kashmir today and severe restrictions were imposed in rest of valley to thwart the march to Eidgah called by the separatists. 
Curfew was in place in entire Srinagar district, Anantnag town, Shopian town, Baramulla town, Awantipora and Pampore towns of Pulwama district, an official said. 
He said curfew was also imposed in Ganderbal town, Budgam, Chadoora, Magam, Kunzer, Tangmarg and Pattan areas of the valley as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order. 
Last Friday saw intense clashes between protestors and security forces at many places in the Valley after the congregational prayers. The clashes left three people dead and several hundred others injured. 
The separatists had called on people to assemble at Eidgah in old city for paying tributes to those killed during the ongoing unrest. 
Normal life remained affected in the Valley for the 35th consecutive day due to the curbs imposed by the authorities and separatist-sponsored strike against the killing of civilians in the security forces action. 
As many as 55 people, including two cops, have died and several thousand others injured in the clashes between protestors and security forces. 
Schools, colleges, business establishments, petrol pumps and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off the roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also thin, the official said. 
The mobile telephony services were snapped across telecom operators, except postpaid services of state-run BSNL, at midnight as a precautionary measure to curb rumour mongering. 
The separatist have extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till August 18 and as part of the protest programme has asked the people to hold "referendum" march at La Chowk on August 13 and 14.

Prime minister Narendra Modi Friday said the doors of the government were open for addressing ‘grievances’ of all sections in Jammu and Kashmir under the constitution but made it clear there cannot be any compromise with the nation's integrity. "We all are committed to the national sentiment that there cannot be any compromise with the country’s integrity. We are ready to address the grievances of all sections under the constitution Modi told the marathon four-hour meeting, adding his 'heart was pained' over the 35-day unrest that has claimed the lives of 55 people.

For latest hindi News, click here