Kashmir: Internet and mobile services suspended as Rajnath Singh evaluate security


Following the clashes, the police have told the officials to close down all the social media sites and mobile Internet services in Kashmir from Thursday before the death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Nigeria: 14 civilians killed by Niger army mistaken for jihadists

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh headed the high-level meeting at North Block to checkout the security arrangements in Jammu and Kashmir before Wani’s death anniversary.

On Thursday, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir, Munir Ahmad Khan told all the Internet service providers to close down all social media sites through lease lines from 10 pm on Thursday.

As per the police officials, the 3G, 2G and 4G data services across the Valley will remain suspended as a safety step for the next few days to avert spread of videos, audios and pictures.

On July 8, 2016, Burhan Wani was died in clashes with security forces in Kokernag area of South Kashmir.

Several security steeps have been taken across the Valley in Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian and Kulgam areas.

In South Kashmir, Police, CRPF, Army, BSF and ITBP officials have been enforced in Kashmir and several other areas to continue law and order.

“Whatever measures are needed to maintain law and order would be taken. Every preventive measure would be taken to ensure peace in the Valley,” Munir Khan stated.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi met with officials involving home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi, Intelligence Bureau director Rajiv Jain, Central Reserve Police Force head Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar and Border Security Force chief K K Sharma to look out the situation.

The CRPF and BSF have been directed to protect their camps.

“We are well prepared to handle any situation in Kashmir. We have sent 214 companies of central forces to control any situation which may arise on July 8 and during the Amarnath yatra,” Rajiv Mehrishi asserted.

3,000-Year-Old tombs excavated in China

Sources stated as a safety step, the Railways has taken decision to defer a train service from Banihal for nearly two days.