JAISALMER: Nine shops were gutted on Tuesday late night at Ramdeora town in Jaisalmer. Items worth Rs 50 lakh turned to ashes. A big tragedy has been averted as the fire did not spread. Otherwise thousands of devotees, who were standing in queue for darshan of Baba Ramdev at Mela ground, could have been at the receiving end of the tragedy.
According to information, at around 2.30 am on Tuesday night, shops at Annakshetra Bhawan Mela ground caught fire due to short circuit which engulfed nine shops. Hotel employees raised alarm and evacuated the shopkeepers sleeping inside and also took the gas cylinders and other inflammatory items out.
Shopkeepers went in shock mode after the incident. Shopkeepers had informed fire brigade, but two empty fire brigade engines parked near the Mela officer two hours late. In the meantime shopkeepers, with the help of water tankers, doused the fire.
After getting information, discom disconnected the electricity supply and Mela officer K R Chauhan, ASI Khushal Chand and discom junior engineer Manish Kumar reached the spot and inspected the place. Shopkeepers gathered in large numbers on getting information and doused the fire by throwing water from buckets and water tankers and some shopkeepers even threw milk to douse the fire.
Annakshetra Bhawan too got damaged due to fire. Walls of pucca shops were damaged and flames of fire damaged the above floor and air conditioners. Confirming the incident, SP Gaurav Yadav said that prima facie the fire has been due to short circuit and there has been no information on loss of lives and the fire was controlled on time.