Jaipur: Mother arrested for killing her 4-mth-old girl


Jaipur: In a suspected case of female infanticide, the police on Thursday arrested a 35-year-old mother for the murder four-month-old infant who was found with the throat slit on the second floor of a three-storey building at Subash Nagar. Following the arrest, the police revealed shocking details behind the mysterious murder that came to light on August 26.

Click here for more latest hindi news

The arrested woman, identified as Neha Goyal, is well educated and hails from an affluent family. She has done her BA in English honours from Hansraj College, Delhi. The police, however, claimed that her husband, Rakesh Goyal, was not part of the crime and has been found ignorant of this act by his wife during investigations, so far. The infant was her second daughter. 

She has an eight-year-old girl and wanted a boy for which the couple had tried varying things, from IV therapy to surrogacy. Neha has been arrested on charges of murdering her daughter. After allegedly killing her daughter, the culprit had raised an alarm stating that the girl was missing.

Speaking tp media, Anshuman Bhomia, deputy commissioner of police (north), said, "After the murder on August 26, preliminary investigations showed that nobody had tried to trespass into the house. Since it was a family with 35 members living together, we suspected that someone from within the house could be behind the act."

When the incident came to the notice of police at 5pm, there were 13 family members present in the house. "Then, with the help of officers from the forensic science laboratory (FSL), we did some tests on them. Finally, we found that three people, including the arrested woman, her husband and a man who is a cousin of her husband, had blood on their nails," he said.

Initially, the family did not cooperate with the police who confined themselves to collecting scientific evidence. "It became clear that when the incident took place at around 3pm, both the infant's father and her uncle had gone out and were at a hotel. So, after collecting incriminating evidences, the woman was brought to the station for interrogation," he added.

According to police, the family had stated that a family member and the father had rushed the infant to the hospital after the child was found dead with a slit throat and 17 minor injuries on the body. The mother had not touched her.

"We asked her a simple question that how come she had blood on her nails if she had not touched the baby? After a pointed interrogation, she confessed to her crime and stated that she was depressed after having a second girl child. We have taken her on a four-day remand. We have to recover the knife used for the murder and find out if anyone else connived with her in this murder," Bhomia added.

After allegedly killing her daughter, the culprit had raised an alarm stating that the girl was missing. Later, a family member found the girl's badly injured body stuffed in the empty box of an air-conditioner on the second floor. Soon after, they took the body to a nearby government hospital.