A wide variety of small crustaceans, tiny relatives of the lobster, are known as prawns. Prawns are normally translucent when raw but get their distinctive pink or red colour on being cooked. one word of caution – if buying unpeeled prawns, smell for freshness and look for bright, shiny shells that have some spring left in them. So here is the recipe:
- Prawns (medium) shelled and deveined 15 medium
- Raw jackfruit cut into 1 inch pieces, boiled and drained 400 grams
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind pulp 1 teaspoon
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Garlic minced 1 tablespoon
- Green chillies finely chopped 2
- Onions finely chopped 2 medium
- Black pepper powder ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coconut grated ½ cup
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 2 tablespoons
- Take prawns in a bowl, add salt, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, red chilli powder and tamarind pulp and mix well. Set aside to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add garlic and sauté till pink, add green chillies and sauté further. Add onions and cook till translucent. Add marinated prawns and mix well. Add little water, cover and cook on simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Roughly mash boiled jackfruit pieces on a plate. Add pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, remaining turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add to the prawns and mix well. Cover and cook on simmer for a minute.
- Add fresh coconut and chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.