1 1⁄2lbs boneless lamb , trimmed of fat and cut into 1 pieces
1⁄4cup vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 black cardamom pod
1(2 inch) cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
1 1⁄2large onions , finely chopped
1tablespoon fresh ginger paste
2teaspoons minced garlic
1 green chilli pepper , chopped (optional)
2teaspoons coriander powder
1teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1⁄2teaspoons garam masala
1cup diced tomato
1⁄3cup plain yogurt
2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1.Heat oil in large pan; add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves.
2. When leaves begin to sizzle and fragrance starts to release, add onions and saute until light golden, about 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in the ginger paste, garlic, chile pepper, and lamb.
4. Season the lamb with salt; continue cooking, stirring mix, for about 20 minutes more, adding a little water if necessary to keep food from sticking.
5. Add turmeric, coriander powder, cayenne, and garam masala; stir for 5 minutes, adding 2 tablespoons water.
6. Add diced tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Then add 4 cups of water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until meat is getting tender.
8. Lower heat.
9. Whisk the yogurt with a fork; and add to the pot slowly.
10. Then cook until meat is done to your liking and sauce is thickened.
11. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
12. Serve with steamed basmati rice, or hot Indian breads, such as Naan.