Ever wondered why the phrase “say cheese” is used just before a photograph is clicked? Simply because ‘cheese’ makes one smile! Not only the word but cheese as a food makes a lot of palates happy. It is an inexpensive, versatile and nourishing food. We have our very own Indian version as well as the ones made from soy milk that are even healthier. Whichever form, this is one food that is loved by one and all. So here is the recipe:
- Ricotta cheese 1 cup
- Bacon strips 5-6
- Fresh basil leaves 6-7
- Paprika ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli flakes ½ teaspoon
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- Salt to taste
- Butter ½ teaspoon
- Crepe batter
- Rice flour ½ cup
- Refined flour (maida) ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- To make crepe batter, combine rice flour and refined flour into a bowl. Add sufficient water and mix well into a smooth and thick batter.
- Roughly chop basil leaves.
- Take ricotta cheese into another bowl. Add chopped basil, paprika, chilli flakes, crushed peppercorns and salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Place the bacon strips on it and cook till done.
- Add salt to the crepe batter and mix well.
- Transfer the cooked bacon into a bowl and cool to room temperature. Cut them into smaller pieces with the help of a scissor.
- Heat butter on a non-stick tawa. Pour a ladleful of batter on it and spread into a thin crepe with the help of a scraper. Cook till the underside is done.
- Spread a spoonful of the cheese mixture on it, top with bacon pieces, fold into halves and then into quarter.
- Serve hot.