A favourite with the vegetarians, paneer made from milk is quite common, especially paneer recipes are quite popular in the Indian subcontinent. You can make it fresh, chhena – an another version or just use the ones that are readily available in the market to prepare everything from simple snacks, curries, sabzis, mithais, desserts and the likes. An ingredient that can be relished in the raw form too – try serving it as a starter just sprinkled with a little chaat masala, black salt and chilli powder. So here is the recipe:
- Paneer (cottage cheese) cut into pieces 250 grams
- Orange juice 1 cup
- Ginger cut into juliennes 2 inch
- Butter 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Onion finely chopped 1 medium
- Orange cut into segments 1
- Paprika powder 1 teaspoon
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 tablespoon
- Iceberg lettuce leaves for garnishing
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a non-stick grill pan. Place cottage cheese pieces and grill till evenly done from both the sides and grill marks appear on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper, sprinkle salt and pepper powder on top and set aside.
- Heat remaining butter in a non-stick pan, add onion and sauté till brown. Add orange segments and mix well.
- Add salt, pepper powder, paprika powder and mix well. Add orange juice and cook for 2 minutes. Add ginger juliennes and cook for a minute.
- Combine cornflour and water in a bowl and mix well to make a smooth slurry. Add this to the pan, mix well and simmer for a minute.
- Make a bed of lettuce leaves on a serving platter. Place the grilled paneer on the bed and pour over orange-ginger sauce. Serve immediately.