Greek cooking has an incredibly rich and diverse array of foods and beverages that are a result of literally thousands of years of living, cooking, and eating. Each Greek meal is fresh and inviting, and takes you on a journey through Greece's history. So here is the recipe:
- Honey 1 cup
- Refined flour (maida) 1 cup
- Baking powder 1½ teaspoons
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder ½ teaspoon
- Orange zest grated 1 teaspoon
- Walnuts chopped 1 cup
- Butter ¾ cup + for greasing
- Castor sugar (caster sugar) 1¾ cups
- Eggs 3
- Vanilla essence ½ teaspoon
- Milk ¼ cup
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tin with some butter.
- Sieve together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder into a bowl. Add orange zest, walnuts and mix well.
- Cream together butter and three-fourth cup castor sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one by one, and beat well. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add flour mixture and milk and mix well into a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter into the greased tin, place the tin in the preheated oven and bake for forty to forty-five minutes. Remove from oven, cool and demould.
- To make honey sauce, heat remaining castor sugar and honey in a deep non-stick pan. Once sugar melts, add lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour the honey sauce over the prepared cake, cut into diamonds and serve.