They taste just like a gingerbread cookie but in soft and fluffy pancake form! They are brimming with spices and packed with the rich flavor of molasses. These would also be delicious with some sort of cinnamon syrup. Maple syrup is also delicious with these though if you don’t want to put in the extra effort. Maple syrup is also delicious with these though if you don’t want to put in the extra effort.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for griddle
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat an electric griddle to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves for 20 seconds. Make a well in center of flour mixture and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together water, molasses, and eggs then mix in butter.
- While whisking, pour molasses mixture into well in flour mixture, and mix just until combined (batter should be slightly lumpy and it will also be pretty runny – if you’d like you can let it rest for about 3 minutes and it will thicken).
- Butter griddle then immediately pour batter onto griddle about 1/3 cup at a time.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown and bubbles start to appear on surface edges of pancakes then rotate and cook opposite side until golden brown.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.