Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 servings, can easily be doubled or tripled
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning (I like to use a fresh mix of oregano, parsley, basil)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare pasta as per instructions on the box in a large pot of salty water. Drain pasta.
- While pasta is boiling, heat olive oil, and add in onion, and tomato and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and lower heat to medium low, mixing together for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, stir into the ingredients, and cook for one minute. Stir in the milk, whisking will stirring in so it doesn’t clump, and the Italian seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir occasionally for about 3-4 more minutes. This will allow the sauce to thicken. If it’s too thick, add more milk. If it isn’t thick enough, add a little bit more flour.
- Add the hot, drained pasta and the mozzarella cheese and stir until it’s all mixed together.
- Remove from the heat so that it doesn’t become too thick, and serve. Enjoy!