The Security Service of Ukraine, SBU, on Monday said it had arrested a Frenchman on the border with Poland late in May, as he was planning to launch attacks during the Euro football championship that kicks off on June 10 in France. The 25-year-old man had a huge arsenal of weapons and was planning to attack a string of locations in his home country, Ukraine`s security services said, just four days before the tournament kicks off in France.
Ukraine security recovered from accused grenade launchers, 125 kilograms of explosives and five Kalashnikovs in his car, reports Efe. At a press conference, SBU chief Vasili Grischak said the man planned to launch 15 attacks during the football event and his targets included a mosque, a synagogue, an institution of tax collection, control facilities on motorways and many other places.The alleged terrorist came to Ukraine in search of a large quantity of arms.
The Ukrainian counterintelligence services launched the operation, which ended on May 21, with the arrest of the suspect after they were informed that a man of French nationality was interested in buying weapons. Grischak regretted that there has been no reaction so far from the French authorities, who were aware of the operation.