Corn was indigenous to America, but is now grown throughout the world. It is used as a vegetable, briefly boiled or roasted or eaten with butter. And it would also interest you to know that the favourite popcorn, made by popping the small corn kernels, is a wholesome cereal food and is easily digested. Besides this, corn sees its use in various other ways – salads, soups, subzis and even sweets too. So here is the recipe of yummy flavored Corn and Pepper Soup:
- Sweet corn kernels ½ cup
- Capsicum mixed, finely chopped ½ cup
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Garlic chopped 1 tablespoon
- Ginger chopped ½ tablespoon
- Onion finely chopped 1 small
- Celery finely chopped 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli sauce 1½ teaspoon
- Soy sauce 1 teaspoon
- Crushed black peppercorns ½ teaspoon
- Vegetable stock 3 cups
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1 tablespoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped, 1 teaspoon + for garnishing
- Vinegar 1½ teaspoons
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add garlic, ginger and sauté for half a minute.
- Add onions and sauté till the onion turns golden. Add celery and mix well.
- Add bell pepper, salt, mix well and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add corn kernels, mix well and reduce the heat. Add red chilli sauce, soy sauce and mix well.
- Add crushed peppercorns and vegetable stock and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Take cornflour in a bowl, add sufficient water and mix well to make a smooth slurry. Add this to the soup, mix well till it thickens.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. Switch off the heat, add vinegar and mix well.
- Serve piping hot garnished with chopped coriander.