Well, don’t – it is a surprising source of vitamin C and provides useful amounts of starch, thiamine and niacin and around a hundred grams will provide about eighty calories. So here is the recipe:
- Potatoes boiled, peeled and grated 3-4
- Fresh coconut scraped 1/4 cup
- Cashewnuts chopped 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts roasted and crushed 1 tablespoon
- Raisins 1/2 tablespoon
- Rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
- Sugar 1/4 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger-green chilli paste 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 1 tablespoon
- Arrowroot powder 1 tablespoon + for coating
- Oil for greasing and deep-frying
- To make stuffing, combine coconut, cashewnuts, peanuts, raisins, rock salt, sugar, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste and chopped coriander in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Combine potatoes, arrowroot powder and rock salt in another bowl and mix well.
- Grease your palms with some oil. Spread some arrowroot powder on a plate.
- Divide the potato mixture into equal portions, make a dent in the centre and fill it with a portion of the stuffing. Coat with arrowroot powder.
- Deep-fry pattice in hot oil till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.