An easy, delicious and healthy halwa for festive season or occasions. It needs quite a lot of effort to cook. But this moong dal halwa can be made in a jiffy since it requires no planning no grating no blending etc. It is made with sugar and method of preparation is completely different. That is one of our most loved halwa but the recipe is good when we do not have much time and want to make something healthy without the use of refined sugar. So be ready:
- ½ cup moong dal / skinned green gram dal/ skinned split mung beans
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ to ¾ cup jaggery / brown sugar/ palm jaggery (prefer organic & unrefined)
- ¼ tsp of elaichi / green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp solid ghee or 2 to 2.5 tbsp melted ghee
- Cashews or nuts as desired
- Dry roast dal on a low flame until aromatic. Rinse very well and cook with 1.5 cups water until smooth. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles on a medium flame.
- Mash the dal very well and add the sweetener along with cardamom powder.
- Cook on a low heat stirring often for few mins for the sweetener to dissolve completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry nuts until golden. Set the nuts aside and add the ghee to halva . Stir and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Garnish with nuts. Best served hot or warm. If needed to reheat, add little water into the pot until bubbly.