Corn was indigenous to America, but is now grown throughout the world. It is used as a vegetable, briefly boiled or roasted or eaten with butter. And it would also interest you to know that the favourite popcorn, made by popping the small corn kernels, is a wholesome cereal food and is easily digested. Besides this, corn sees its use in various other ways – salads, soups, subzis and even sweets too. So here is the recipe:
- Corn kernels crushed 1 cup
- Refined flour (maida) 2 cups
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Crushed black peppercorns 1 teaspoon
- Castor sugar (caster sugar) 1 tablespoon
- Egg 1
- Melted butter ½ cup
- Buttermilk 1 cup
- Tomatoes chopped 2-3 medium
- Green chillies finely chopped 1-2
- Onion chopped 1 medium
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar ½ teaspoon
- Tobasco sauce 2 teaspoons
- Juice of ½ lemon
- To make salsa, mix together tomatoes, green chillies, onion, coriander leaves, salt, sugar, Tabasco sauce and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and crushed peppercorns in another bowl.
- Beat together castor sugar, egg and butter in another bowl till well combined. Add flour mixture, corn and buttermilk and beat till well mixed.
- Spoon a portion of the corn mixture on the hot waffle iron, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
- Serve hot with salsa.