PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 12 mins
TOTAL TIME: 32 mins
Recipe type: Dessert
Yield: makes 12 mini tarts
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk (from a large egg)
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- scant pinch salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- Maldon or other large-grain salt, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a mini muffin tin.
- To make the cookie crust, in a small bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and mix. Add the flour and salt and mix until well combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Put the bowl in the refrigerator to chill while making the brownie filling (this will make it easier to handle).
- For the brownie filling, heat the butter on the stove or in the microwave, just until melted. Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside until only slightly warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon stir in the egg and vanilla until evenly encorporated. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Divide the cookie dough into 12 even portions (about 2 teaspoons each) and press them into the prepared muffin tin to form tart shells. Pour the brownie filling into each of the shells.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, just until the brownie starts to set around the edges (the centers will still be gooey). Be careful not to overtake these – pull them from the oven as soon as you see that the brownie edges are setting.
- Let cool at room temperature. Sprinkle with salt (optional).