Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Wednesday confirmed an incursion by Chinese troops into Chamoli district, located at the North-East corner of Uttarakhand on July 19.
The chopper is reported to have hovered over the Indian airspace for nearly five minutes before it disappeared and flew back. A report on the intrusion was sent by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) to the central government.
Rawat said that he is assured that the Centre will take take note and act upon the issue. “Good thing is the Chinese have not touched an important canal there,” Harish Rawat told to media. Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju said, “We have to check whether this incident was intrusion or not, only then can any action be taken.”
The last time such an incident was reported in August last year, when the Chinese army intruded to Chamoli’s Bara Hoti area, which lies near the Indo-China border in the state. The local shepherds had notified the Indian army of the intrusion. Even after the reports came in the government denied its existence but there were talks that investigations were going on.
Uttarakhand and China share a 350 kilometer boundary and many such incidents have happened in the past. In recent years, China has intruded into many parts of Uttarakhand, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Jammu-Kashmir.