- kosher salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar, divided
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook spaghetti until al dente, about 7 minutes.
- In a large skillet over over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Cook until chicken is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and vegetables from heat.
- Melt butter in the same skillet. Whisk in flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add milk and chicken broth and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in spaghetti and about 1 1/2 cups cheddar. Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cup cheese. Bake until bubbly, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.