- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. sirloin streak, sliced against the grain
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/2 lb. sliced provolone
- In a large skillet over medium, heat oil. Add onion and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the sirloin steak in an even layer on the other side. Season all over with salt and pepper. Let it cook, without stirring, until the bottom browns and develops a nice seared crust, about 1-2 minutes. Stir into the vegetables and continue cooking until the steak is cooked through and browned all over.
- Spread mayonnaise on one slice of bread. Top the dry side of the bread (the mayo will be on the outside) with steak and vegetable mixture and a slice of provolone. Top with another slice of bread, and spread mayonnaise on the top. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium. Working in batches, cook sandwiches until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.