Ingredients for cheese balls
- 100 grams potatoes or 3 small or 2 medium or 1 large potato
- 60 grams cheese or ½ cup grated cheese tightly packed
- ¼ tsp black pepper crushed or ⅓ tsp black pepper powder, add as required
- a pinch of garam masala, optional
- 1.5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves
- 3.5 to 4 tbsp gram flour or 2 to 3 tbsp arrow root flour or corn starch or all purpose flour
- two to three pinches of black salt or regular salt or rock salt
How to make the recipe:
1.Boil 3 small potatoes (100 grams) in a steamer or pressure cooker or an electric cooker. Boil the potatoes till they are completely cooked.
2.When the potatoes become warm, peel them and mash very well in a mixing bowl. Allow the potatoes to come at room temperature before you add the remaining ingredients.
3.Grate 60 grams cheese and keep aside in cup measurement, the amount is ½ cup tightly packed grated cheese. You can use either cheddar cheese or processed cheese. If using Amul processed cheese then use 3 cubes.
4.To the mashed potatoes, add ¼ tsp black pepper, crushed or ⅓ tsp black pepper powder, a pinch of garam masala (optional) and 1.5 tbsp chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves.
5. Add 3.5 to 4 tbsp gram flour. You can also add 2 to 3 tbsp all purpose flour or corn starch. Mix very well.
6.Then add the grated cheese and two pinches of black salt. Add salt accordingly as cheese already has salt. You can even add rock salt or regular salt instead of black salt.
7.Mix the cheese with the rest of the potato mixture very well. Check the taste and add more salt or crushed black pepper if required.
8.Make small balls from the mixture and make one tiny ball to test while frying. Heat oil for deep frying in a pan.
9.When the oil becomes hot, add the tiny cheese ball. The temperature of oil can be from 170 to 190 degrees Celsius. The oil has to be Hot, otherwise the cheese balls may break.
10. When the tiny cheese ball, does not break, then you can easily fry the other balls. If it breaks, then you have to add 1 to 2 tbsp Gram Flour to the mixture again. Keep the same temperature while frying.
11. Add the remaining balls.
12. With a slotted spoon, turn over when the balls get to become golden.
13.Fry them till they are evenly golden all over and crisp.
14. Remove them on kitchen paper towels.
15. Serve cheese balls hot with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.