If there is one vegetable that is truly a nutritional hero then it is bound to be the carrot. It is also termed as goldmine of nutrients. Ranging in colours from orange, black, pink to red, yellow and white, this delicious vegetable is within the reach of rich and poor alike and is rightly called the universal root. So here is the recipe:
- Carrots peeled and cuts into cubes 6-7
- Roasted cumin seeds 2 teaspoons
- Oil 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves chopped 6-7
- Onions chopped 2 small
- Sugar a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs 2-3
- Paprika a pinch
- Fresh cream 2½ teaspoons + for garnishing
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped, 2 teaspoons + for garnishing
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and sauté.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add onion, mix and sauté till they turn golden.
- Coarsely crush remaining cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Add carrots to the pan and mix well. Add sugar and salt, mix well and sauté.
- Add thyme leaves and mix well. Add paprika, mix well, cover and cook till the carrots turn soft.
- Add 1 cup water, stir to mix and simmer for a minute. Switch off heat and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the carrot mixture into a large bowl. Add some water and blend the carrot mixture to a puree with a hand blender. Strain the puree into a bowl and transfer the strained liquid back into the pan and heat.
- Adjust consistency by adding some water if required. Add salt, cream and stir to mix. Add chopped coriander, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Pour soup into individual soup bowls. Garnish with a swirl of cream, chopped coriander and crushed cumin powder and serve piping hot.