The gulab jamuns, barfis, pedas, laddoos, modaks, halwas…you can say let the sugar substitutes rule but not everything is possible with substitutes! One of oldest flavourings and condiments used by mankind, this ingredient is an instant provider of energy. Also available in various types, sugar is either derived from sugarcane or beetroot. So here is the recipe:
- Castor sugar (caster sugar) ¼ cup
- Walnuts chopped 4-6
- Almonds 4-6
- Popcorn 1 cup
- Castor sugar (caster sugar) 125 grams
- Egg yolks 4
- Milk 300 millilitres
- Fresh cream 200 millilitres
- Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- To make the base, beat together egg yolks and castor sugar in a bowl till the mixture reaches ribbon consistency.
- Heat together milk, cream and vanilla essence in a non-stick pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the boiling mixture to the egg mixture and whisk continuously. Pour the mixture back into the pan, place on heat and cook on low heat, stirring continuously, till thick.
- Pass the custard through a strainer and place in a cool place till completely cooled. Stir from time to time to prevent skin forming. Strain again if there are any lumps remaining.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add castor sugar and cook till it caramelizes. Add walnuts, almonds and popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture onto a silicon mat and let it set.
- Break it into small pieces, add to the custard mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into an ice-cream tin, cover and freeze till fully set.
- Demould, slice and serve.