The gulab jamuns, barfis, pedas, laddoos, modaks, halwas, you can say let the sugar substitutes rule but not everything is possible with substitutes! One of oldest flavourings and condiments used by mankind, this ingredient is an instant provider of energy. Also available in various types, sugar is either derived from sugarcane or beetroot. So here is the recipe:
- Castor sugar (caster sugar) ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons
- Butter 1/3 cup
- Fresh cream 2-3 tablespoons
- Coffee powder strong 2 tablespoons
- Ice cubes as required
- Milk 4 cups
- Whipped cream For topping
- To make caramel sauce, heat ¾ cup castor sugar in a non-stick pan till it melts. Add butter, mix well and let it melt completely and get well combined.
- Switch off heat and stir well. Add cream, mix well and cool to room temperature.
- Take coffee powder in a bowl. Add some water, mix and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or till a decoction is formed.
- Combine ice cubes, 2 tablespoons castor sugar, coffee decoction and milk in a blender jar. Reserve some of the caramel sauce and add the remaining and blend well.
- Pour drink into individual shot glasses or tall glasses. Top with whipped cream, drizzle reserved caramel sauce on top and serve chilled.