Ingredients Of Butterless Sponge Cake
- Oven Temp: 400 F / 204 C
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour/ maida
- 3/4 cup castor sugar/ powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 round 8” cake tins
How to Make Butterless Sponge Cake
- Cut two pieces of butter (grease proof) paper, the size of the base of the tins, and fit them in. Alternatively, grease the base and sprinkle some flour or sugar over it–a dusting of it.
- Measure the flour, sieve it on to a paper, and keep aside.
- Break eggs, one at a time into a cup and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder to the eggs and beat well till light and foamy.
- When beaten enough, the mixture leaves a trail when the beater is lifted and moved above the batter. Of course the trail soon blends back into the batter.
- Fold in 1 tbsp flour with a spatula with light cutting, downward, upward and outward strokes. Fold in the rest of the flour in two installments.
- Divide batter into the two tins. Hollow out the center by pushing the batter from the center towards the sides with a spatula.
- Place tins in a pre-heated oven, preferably on the same level and bake for about 15 minutes, or till the sides start shrinking from the edge of the tin.
- You can also test by inserting a skewer or sharp knife in the center–if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Cool cakes in the tin after baking.
Source : NDTV