1/2 cup – broken wheat
2 tsp – oil
1/4 tsp- mustard seed
2 tsp – finely chopped green chilli
1/2 cup- chopped onions
1/2 tsp- grated ginger
1/4 cup- green peas
1/4 cup -chopped carrots
For The Garnish
2 tbsp – finely chopped coriander
How to make Broken Wheat Upma
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Boil the broken wheat in 2 cups of hot water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas and carrots, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broken wheat, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with coriander.