Indian cooking comprises of a number of regional cuisines. The variety in soil type, climate, culture, ethnic group and occupations, these cuisines differ from each other mainly due to the use of locally available spices, herbs, vegetables and fruits. Indian food is also prejudiced by religious and cultural choices and traditions. Foreign invasions, trade relations and colonialism had introduced certain foods to the country like potato, chillies and breadfruit. Yummy Bottle Gourd Sweet relish recipe is here:
- Bottle gourd (lauki/doodhi) peeled and grated 500 grams
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Carom seeds (ajwain)
- Bay leaves 2 inch sticks
- Cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel seed (saunf) powder 1 cup
- Sugar 3 tablespoons
- Amchur powder 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Dried ginger powder (soonth) 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a deep non stick kadai. Add carom seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon and sauté till fragrant. Add the bottle gourd and sauté for a couple of minutes. Dry roast fennel seeds and grind it.
- Add 5 cups water, sugar, amchur, red chilli powder, black salt, dried ginger powder, black pepper powder, and salt and fennel seeds powder to the pan and mix well. Cook till bottle gourd is soft and the syrup gets a one string consistency. Cool and store in a glass bottle.