6 oz Bacon, thick-cut
1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
1 Garlic clove
1/2 tsp Mustard, dry ground
Baking & spices
2 1/2 tbsp All-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Pretzels, Soft or hard
2 cups Cheddar cheese, sharp
2 cups Colby-jack cheese
8 oz Cream cheese
Beer, wine & spirits
8 oz Beer
- Heat a large saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crispy, stirring often, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- To the hot grease, add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour and dry ground mustard. Add the flour to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beer and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and cook until melted, stirring often to help break down the cheese. The beer will thicken up when you add the cheese, that's a good thing. You'll want to use your spoon to smush the cream cheese and little and get it incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the cheddar and Colby-jack cheeses. Stir to combine until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Add almost all of the bacon into the dip, saving a little for garnish. Stir to incorporate the bacon.
- Transfer to a serving bowl (or a crock pot set on warm), sprinkle the reserved bacon on top. Serve immediately with soft or hard pretzels.