PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 60 mins
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 5 mins
Recipe type: Dessert
- Full cream milk – 1 and ½ liters
- Saffron – a generous pinch
- Sugar – 2 tbsp ( you can adjust the sugar according to your taste )
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Rose water – ¼ tsp
- Slivered almonds, pistachios and cashew nuts – ¼ cup
- Put the milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Heat till it comes to a boil.
- Take 2 tbsp milk from it in a bowl.
- Add saffron and keep aside.
- Simmer the heat and let the milk thicken for almost 2 hours.
- Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to ⅓ rd, add saffron soaked in milk, cardamom powder, sugar and rose water.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the slivered nuts.
- Chill nicely before serving.
- Keep in mind that basundi with thicken a little more while cooling. So keep the consistency accordingly.
- The consistency of basundi is like that of condensed milk.
- If you like your basundi very creamy and smooth, just blend it in a blender before adding the nuts for a few seconds to give that silky smooth texture.
- Do not blend when the basundi is cold otherwise butter may separate.