- Prep Time:10 Minutes
- Cook Time:1 Hour + Overnight soaking
Indian gooseberries cooked in sugar syrup flavoured with cardamom. A sweet alternative to pickles.
- 1 kg amla
- 2 tsp chemical lime
- 1 1/2 kg sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Prick amla with a fork. Dissolve 1 tsp lime in water and soak amla overnight.
- Remove and wash well. Repeat once more.
- Drain and wash thoroughly.
- Squeeze and rinse to eliminate lime remains.
- Boil water then add amla.
- Cook till tender and transparent.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Make syrup with sugar, lemon juice and 6 cups of water.
- Maintain one thread consistency, skimming off any scum that keeps forming.
- Add amla, bring to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Let it cool, then store in a clean airtight jar.
- You can add elaichi or any other flavoring of your choice.