2,000 kidnapped civilians freed from North Syria


The Islamic State stronghold of Manbij, in northern Syria, has fallen to allied Arab and Kurdish fighters, who freed more than 2,000 civilians held there by the terrorist group.

The abductions came as Russian and Syrian jets pounded rebel positions in second city Aleppo, an AFP correspondent and the Syrian Observatory for Human Right monitor said.

The Arab-Kurdish alliance known as the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) expelled most of the IS fighters from Manbij last week, but dozens continued to put up a tough resistance.

Kashmir unrest, 47 injured, PM breaks silence

The SDF said,”While withdrawing from a district of Manbij, jihadists abducted around 2,000 civilians,” according to a report by AFP. Nearly 100 fighters of the terrorist group remained in the city of Manbij where they using civilians as human shield. While trying to flee SDF, they abducted 2,000 civilians while several other were killed in the attack.

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights noted that around 500 cars left the city carrying ISIS fighters and its members, Reuters reported. This comes days after a chemical attack killed several civilians in Aleppo. Both, Syrian President Bashar-al-Assad and the rebel forces have been accused of using chemical weapon on civilians. A report by the United Nations and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is due this month, on the investigation carried out into the nine chemical attacks in Syria in 2014 and 2015.

The US-backed forces combed Al-Sirb today for any remaining jihadists.

With air support from the US-led coalition, the SDF began its assault on Manbij on May 31, surging into the town itself three weeks later.

But their offensive was slowed by a massive jihadist fightback, before a major push last week saw the SDF seize 90 percent of the town.

For latest hindi news, click here